Wednesday 2 February 2011

Hello February!

January got off to a great start with Andy starting his work and our shipment arriving. The house is looking like home now and we are settling into a routine. January has come with it's challenges and I have been recovering from a virus. Thankfully the rash I have had for four weeks is now fading - just in-time for the flu to arrive! I am through the worst of that and am not too bothered about being forced indoors by the weather at the moment. I managed to get out to the shops with the kids on Monday to just stock up on some essentials as we were preparing for possible home confinement and power cuts. There is a big winter storm hitting parts of America and Coshocton County has issued a Level 2 Emergency. ( Level 3 you are not allowed to go out on the roads or you will get arrested) Andy went out to Walmart on Monday evening to get a kerosene heater (just in case) and was shocked to find there were only two left on the shelf! Very glad we managed to get one! I am not sure how much snow is forecast for our area but I think the biggest problem at the moment is the layer of ice over EVERYTHING!You can see from the picture just how treacherous the ice is making everything. This morning I was watching the bin man hanging on to the sides of the bin lorry trying to get the neighbours bags into the back and then himself back into the drivers seat on the ice! Torvil and Dean eat your heart out! He was a professional! : 0) Andy left for work at 7.10am to walk across the road to get a lift and struggled crossing the road on foot. No one was going to drive their car on our hill however, and MMS later sent a pick up truck with studded tyres to pick him and another MMS worker up.

Abi and Matthew are doing well and we had a successful trip to the hairdressers recently. Thankfully none of them have had a cold or anything at the moment. Abi is very keen on her school work and is disappointed that I am not putting the same effort into teaching her at the weekends! During the week we usually begin around 9am and start with her little reading book. She is sounding out words and beginning to see the connection between them. Then we do some writing work and she is working through the alphabet. I think we just have X Y and Z to do. The home school pack is from England and I am really enjoying going through it with her. Then we do something like art work, science or cooking together, or music time. Last week we looked at dissolving and today we explored melting. Matthew joins in when he wants to. The snow outside was a gift and they had fun poking and tasting it. Then we put some near a heater and some in a colder room and they had great fun checking to see which pile of snow was going to melt first. Then came the chocolate! Matthew was melting his over hot water. Abi had her hairdryer and, not to waste the American version of a cadburies chocolate bar, we enjoyed dipping marshmallows and tinned mandarins into the melted mass. Then comes some math number work. Abi can now write 1-20 and is beginning to add up. This usually takes us to around 11.30 and then mum has a tea break! : 0) Due to the flu I have been trying to take a rest in the afternoon when the kids sleep. This works most days but I have learned not to depend on this nap, then I am not too disappointment when it doesn't work out. Some days by the time I have got Matthew to settle and myself into bed, the sleeping princess begins to awake and my head has barely touched the pillow! Mothers will all know that feeling! : 0) I hope this post gives you a little taster or what my days are like. I believe my first UK visitors have booked their flights! My parents are coming at the end of March and then my niece and friend are coming in June. Last Tuesday I went to the MMS apprentice wives meeting. We are currently going through the book of Acts together as a group. There were six of us there. I tasted my first "earthquake" cake! very nice - I shall be attempting to make it myself this week. We missed church on Sunday as Andy was also sneezing all weekend and we were both taking it in turns when to sleep and when to keep an eye on the kids. We are really enjoying the Hillsongs church services on the TV and I have them on record now. If anyone has never heard Brian Houston preach then have a go at downloading his sermons or find out when he is on TV- (God channel UK) ( WSFJ cable channel in Ohio). Andy and I are both so blessed and encouraged and challenged when we listen to what God is saying through him. We are looking forward to getting to our own church again this Sunday. Thanks for supporting us. I hope you all have a great week . God Bless. Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment