Wednesday 2 October 2013

Look and see visit to Uganda.

I (Heather) have been in Uganda for four days now and have been updating facebook with my adventures! I just thought I would copy and paste my facebook posts into a blog post as I am aware many of you do not use Facebook. Enjoy x

Septermber 28th (Morning)

Safely arrived in Uganda. Just about to crawl under the mosquito net and sleep. African music playing out side. Long but Great flights - AND who do I meet in Amsterdam about to board the 10 hour flight to Uganda?? None other than Dave Barry my Scottish pastor! Not only that - my seat was no. 33, Dave's was 16F Standing in boarding line and they call out my name, issue me with a new boarding saying they are moving my seat to 16G!!!! None of us asked anything!!! Only God! Awesome. In Awe!

September 28th (Evening)

Just spent the day with fellow MAF scot Margaret McLaren from perthshire. She happens to live in a compound with five other scots! All those in kirkie baptist who told me Moira Leng was in Uganda and I thought the odds of meeting her were highly unlikely- well she lives in that compound and she came and had lunch and dinner with us. Been to visit the main food shops - crazy driving here. If my mum ever came to visit I would have to blind fold her! No rules at junctions except if it's bigger than you, get out the way. Enjoyed some great Scottish banter today. Andy Swanson Moira has haggis so you'll be fine ;0)

This was the road to the Newnam's who are hosting me.

Sunday 29th
Today I went to a local church. Had a great time and towards the end of the service the rain came on. It began raining inside due to the spray that was blowing in under the roof and the whole church squeezed into various corners and little rooms to keep dry. Some had umbrellas up in the church building. lol! It was quite an experience. Enjoy a few of my pics so far. Power is out all day and the internet is slow so pics will come later when back in the USA probably.
 

A typical junction. The only rule - If it's bigger than you, get out of the way!

September 29th (evening)
Eventually got to sleep at 2am last night - jet lag! Home from church, leaks from the rain mopped up imside. Busy day, lunch with newmans and then off to another British family the nason's for dinner. Power came back on at 7pm. Haven't seen a cockroach yet so that's good. Apparently they are massive. Josh and Amy are enjoying my video camera taking lots of footage for Abi and Matthew about the house. Josh is 6 and even sung a wee song for Matthew on it. Aww. :0) off to visit two schools tomorrow.

September 30th
Those people who pay for an off road driving experience on a 4x4 vehicle.......it's been an every day experience so far but today, after yesterday's rain came the orange mud bath and serious potholes disguised by puddles. Lovely coffee with the Dutch this morn, then to visit the Christian school. Should have taken my passport for ID but found a RBS bank card in my handbag which the security guards and police seemed happy to hang on to. Then visit to a little mall for lunch, I could see a few kids clothes with NEXT tags on them through a shop window. No time to investigate but had a lovely lunch with a different Dutch lady - the chief engineer's wife. On to the next school. V heightened security everywhere after Kenya. Police and guards at schools, bomb sweeps for cars. ( even at church! ) handbag checks at malls by police. Second school visit went well and then back for an hour. Picked up by an irish man and off to dinner with an Irish family! First time I've heard anyone on the road called a Wally since I've been driving with Andy! Made me chuckle! hoping to get to sleep before 2am tonight but I see it's twenty to midnight already. I have the fan on low and ear plugs ready to drown out the mosque chanting and dogs barking - lots of roaming wild dogs everywhere - cows and goats too. The odd chicken. Havent seen a pig yet Andy Swanson but we could make it a first ;0)

October 1st
Visit to another school this morning. Then lunch with the lovely Scottish Pam Wunderli where i had an almost British breakfast :0) Then off to see an electrical goods store a little like a very basic Costco. Managed to get some African gifts for my bambinos and then fought the rush hour traffic back home. LOVELY face time with my family. Then off out for very nice dinner with a Canadian family and their five children. Then to prayer meeting. I don't think I'll have a problem sleeping tonight! Also pre-booked us an Alsatian puppy for when we arrive (all being well) :0) v excited that we might be able to have a pet soon! Guard dogs are a must here.

A view of Kampala from one of the MAF houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment