Sunday 13 March 2011

Akron Adventure!

I booked Abi's operation for 11th of March as I was sure there would be no snow around then. All was fine untill I had a facebook comment that said " are you travelling before the snow storm comes?" (thanks for the heads up Rena!: 0) I had no idea we were due for more snow. I was glad I had booked the hotel the night before and wasn't traveling through the night. Abi and I arrived at the comfort Inn in Akron around 5.30pm and she was very excited to see the room. She then asked when we were going to look in all the other doors, and where was the living room? LOL! I think her expectations of a budget hotel were a little high! So we unpacked and then went out for some food. I was keen for Abi to have a good last meal before the operation but she was much more interested in the desert buffet! Ice cream, jelly beans, candy corn and all sorts of unhealthy things! Full of sugar ( just Abi of course - I had a salad!) we headed off for a dummy run to the hospital. It was dark and raining and a little crazy in the busy traffic. Akron is like being in the centre of Glasgow and the roads were like being on the M8 only with huge pot holes everywhere, It was tempting to try and doge them but obviously you couldn't risk getting out of your lane. We got back to the hotel at around 6pm and so began Abi's nail spa pampering! The alarm was set for 4.30am and I looked out the window at 5am and could hardly believe my eyes. The car was covered in about 6 inches of snow and I had to leave Abi in sight at the doorway to go and try and find the door handle to get the snow brush out of the car. I was covered in snow as it was blowing a gale and still snowing and as I cleared the roof it was blowing all over me. With the roof, windscreen and lights semi - cleared we headed off in the dark. I was very glad to get to the hospital car park at 5.30am. Abi got dressed into her tiger outfit. Then we were taken to a little bay where we had to sit and wait for about two hours while various people came in and out. It was very difficult for both of us as you are not allowed any food or drink in this area as there were babies who of course had had no bottles all night or morning waiting for their operations. I was soooo thirsty and often thought about sneaking off to the toilets for a quick drink of my water bottle in my bag , but no there was no escape! I wished I had thought to have a drink before we left the hotel but the snow took my all attention. Abi did really well and went through the door herself to get put to sleep with her "raspberry" air! The operation went really quickly and the surgeon came out to see me about forty minutes later. Then I could comfort her as she was waking up. We were back home again by half past four that evening. Thankfully the roads were all clear of snow and to my own annoyance I missed a slip road and had to drive ten miles before I could turn round. That added another twenty minutes onto our journey! Abi was feeling a bit sick with the pain medication so I though I would just try two spoons of calpol instead last night but that was a big mistake! It was obviously not strong enough to cover the pain so we are back to the hospital pain relief. It works a treat though and ten mins after it she has spurts of energy where she wants to jump off the couch and run around a little and then collapse into her little home made bed on the couch!
Andy is back to work Monday after having Friday off to look after Matthew. He is attending an annual aircraft maintenance seminar on Thursday in Columbus so is looking forward to
that.
He is delighted to have passed his two electrics tests recently and move far, far away from that chapter!
Every Wednesday we have all been going to Kirsty and Ruth-Anne's house up the road to take dinner for them at 5.30pm. Their Parents are with MMS and are away to South Africa for three weeks. Different families in MMS are taking meals up to the girls every evening and on a Wednesday it is our turn. Kirsty is 16 and Ruth-Anne is 13. This will be our third Wednesday up there this week. We have had a lovely time with them and their giant friendly dog Lola who is the same height as Matthew! Lola has a little bell she rings with her nose when she needs to go outside! Andy usually takes the kids back to the house around 6.30pm and I stay with the girls till near 9pm till the carer returns. We have had some lovely sing-songs around the piano on these evenings. They also keep bees and in their house they have an observation hive with lights and magnifying glass. We have loved watching the bees do their thing and last Wednesday Ruth-Anne got some of the honey out so we could try it! I think we will be getting our honey from them now! This Wednesday I will just be going myself as it will probably be too much for Abi.
We are just be laying low this week and have no plans. I have borrowed a sewing machine so this may be my week to get some curtains sorted out! Thank you so much for all your prayers. We have really felt God's strength throughout this time. Abi is sleeping effortlessly at night and now Andy is the only one who snores in the family! : 0)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad Abi survived her op. I know a little girl who was poorly for about 3 weeks afterwards. We had snow here yesterday and we were all taken by surprise...it was deep for a while and had disappeared by night time.How kind of you to help the girls on Wed. A couple in KBC are living apart for job reasons and I was saying to Alan that we should be trying to give a wee bit of support to the family left at home. Dad can only come home fortnightly at weekends due to costs. Quite a number of men have been made redundant. You are clever with all your homemaking skills Heather. Taking after your mum? I used to sew, knit etc before paperwork overtook me and now arthritis!I hope everyone gets abck to a normal sleep pattern as this will make for happier daytime activities. Eileen Aitken xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo glad that Abi is doing well :-)

    God bless

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Abi is recovering from her op!!! Must have been a tough on you both too!! Such a worry!!
    Sounds like a hoot with all that snow :( you'll be looking forward to spring!!!
    Not much happening here, a little snow, but the sun has been fighting through. It's good to get girls out into garden for some fresh air!!!
    Take care, hugs to all!!!
    Sarah, Neil and the girls
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that Abi weathered her op and you weathered the snowstorm ok, Heather. Enjoy having Mum & Dad out with you. Love and God bless. Keith & Margaret

    ReplyDelete