Thursday 3 March 2011

From the hangar...


Well, between working at the hangar and studying for my regular theory tests I have been happily letting Heather do the lion’s share of our blogging for the last wee while, but I thought it was about time I updated you all on life in Coshocton and the sort of work that I am involved in!

The work at MMS is nothing if not varied and that play’s out in the sort of things I have been doing on a day to day basis. One of the duties that has to be done on a rota basis is “opening”, where one person is allocated the role of getting all the doors open, lights and heating on, and the facility ready for another day. I’m on opening just now, and although I am definitely not a “morning person” it is a privilege to be able to watch the day begin.

The sun arrives in Coshocton


For the last couple of weeks I have been working with Scott on a Cessna 172 operated by www.gcigospel.org . This plane spends most of it’s time based at MMS but in anticipation of it being flown out in the next week or so, we have been setting to work on a list of defects (or “squawks” in aero-speak!) that have been identified on the plane. Most of these have been electrical faults, so I am now a little bit more familiar with strobe and beacon lighting systems, and a lot more familiar with what lies behind the panel in front of the pilot!



GCI's Cessna 172 with the engine cowling's off.

Red wire or blue wire...


In between times I have also spent a bit of time working on a Piper Aztec which is used by Pfeifer Evangelistic Association, a music group who use the aircraft as they travel around North America. This aircraft is in for an annual inspection, and as the aircraft is opened up to have a comprehensive list of checks completed on it, small repairs are carried out. My own work on this aircraft has included general servicing on the engines, (changing oil & filters, overhauling spark plugs etc), and repairing various sections of baffling and sheet metal work.



Terry and me riveting a new section of baffling in place.

February saw me witness my first aircraft “return to service” after having work done at MMS Aviation. www.arcticbarnabas.org operate in Alaska providing practical help to remote communities and offering pastoral support to the churches that work in rural Alaska. They had a Piper Navajo which needed quite a list of work done on it, from an engine and prop overhaul, to the addition of a new crew door allowing the rear of the plane to be filled with materials and have a pilot get in too! I was able to help out on a couple of small jobs on this plane before it left, and in my own little way help in the work that Arctic Barnabas are involved in. When Matt came down to Ohio from Alaska to take delivery of the plane he was good enough to bring a little taste of the north with him in the form of some smoked salmon (caught and then smoked by himself) and some moose sausage – a great treat for everyone at our morning break!

The Navajo as it is returned to service.

Thank you once again for your support as we train here in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment